Wednesday 20 April 2016

MY EXPERIENCE IN AMERICA AS 2015 SPELLING BEE NIGERIA WINNER - Onyinyechi Ohuabunwa

Last year 13 year old Onyinyechi Ohuabunwa of Cherryfield College, Abuja who defeated other contestants at the 2015 Spelling Bee Nigeria to clinch the first prize, a trip to the 89th Scripps National Spelling Bee Competition in US, she also became the face of Betamalt, she recently shared her rare experience, particularly her trip.

The journey to becoming the National champion of the Spelling Bee Nigeria was a dream for me because I didn't see it coming. I just came to compete like everyone else but God surprised me with the victory.                         

My journey to the US was a very fulfilling one, because this was my first visit to Washington DC, my mum came along with me on the trip as well as officials of Young Educators Foundation. The Scripps National Spelling Bee Finals was a huge one, everybody in America was talking about it because it was all over the TV and Radio Stations. I feel very elated when some media had to interview me as the champion from Nigeria.
I want to thank the organizers of the spelling bee Nigeria; the sponsors, Betamalt and Virgin Atlantic who sponsored my trip .

We spent about a week in Washington DC during Scripps Spelling Bee final and we also went on a tour of Washington DC, where I saw a lot of historical monuments, we really had a great time; we left for New York after the finals where we spent a few days before returning to Nigeria via Atlanta.

However, this  year,  50 Spellers representing schools from the 9 participating States who successfully scaled through at the  state finals  will be competing at the  Grand Finale of the Spelling Bee Nigeria scheduled for  April 22 , 2016 at THE NECA Hall, Plot A2, Akin Balogun Street, CBD Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos.

1st Prize winner gets an all-expense paid trip to the 89th Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington DC, USA as a guest, plus a scholarship Fund, whilst the 2nd Prize is an all-expense paid trip to Pearson Publishing House, Harlow UK and a scholarship fund.


No comments:

Post a Comment