Saturday, 23 April 2016

MIDE MARTINS, HUBBY REUNITE

MY ORIGINAL SIN - Saraki Replies Dele Momodu

My dear brother Dele, let me thank you most sincerely for your article last weekend, “My Candid Letter to Saraki.” I take everything you said in that article to heart and I must commend you for your candidness indeed and the sincerity of your intentions.
As you said in your article, you are someone I have known more by reputation than by any personal relationship, until recently when we struck up some personal acquaintance based on our shared political interests, especially during the last presidential election. However, I understand why you had to sound so defensive for knowing me at all and had to publicly map the boundaries of our relationship. We have got to that point in our country when we no longer believe that anyone could stand for anything based on principles and convictions alone. Moreover, in the growing culture of media crucifixion and presumed guilt; it is rare to find a voice like yours that calls for fairness and justice.

I would have simply sent you a text message or call you up for your candid advice to me, which I take seriously. But I feel the need to make some clarifications on some of the issues you raised. One of them was that in seeking to be Senate President, I struck a deal with the PDP and made it possible for one of them to be the Deputy Senate President. I know this is the dominant narrative out there, but it is far from the truth.

I did not do any deal with the PDP. I did not have to because even before the PDP Senators as a group took the decision to support my candidature on the eve of the inauguration of the 8th Senate, 22 PDP Senators had already written a letter supporting me. What I did not envisage was a situation where some members of my party would not be in the chambers that day, especially when the clerk had already received a proclamation from the President authorizing the inauguration of the Senate. Pray, if a team refused to turn up for a scheduled match and was consequently walked over, would it be fair to blame the team that turned up and claimed victory? I believe those that made it possible for PDP to claim the DSP position were those who decided to hold a meeting with APC senators elsewhere at the time they ought to be in the chambers. What the PDP Senators did was to take advantage of their numerical strength at the material time. They simply lined up behind Senator Ike Ikweremadu while those of us from APC voted for Senator Ali Ndume. It was a game of numbers, and we were hopelessly outnumbered. If the PDP had nominated their own candidate for the Senate Presidency position that day, they would have won. It was as simple as that.

Secondly, I don’t know if you were aware that in the build up to Senate inauguration, the National Working Committee of the APC sent two signals. The first signal specified how leadership positions in the National Assembly have been zoned. While we were trying to give effect to this decision, the second signal came, which contained names of people to which these zoned position had been allocated. What was not acknowledged was that the President of the Senate is not an executive president. He is primarily one of 109 senators. Therefore, I cannot decide by myself who gets what in the Senate. Therefore, when they said I defied party directive in the choice of principal officers, they are invariably ascribing to me the power that I did not have.

My dear brother, most people talk about the Senate Presidency position, but this was not my only offence. I have also been accused of helping to frustrate some people’s opportunity to emerge as President Muhammadu Buhari’s running mate. But I have no problem with anybody. My concern was that it would not be politically smart of us to run with a Muslim-Muslim ticket. I doubt if we would have won the election if we had done this, especially after the PDP had successfully framed us a Muslim party. I felt we were no longer in 1993. Perhaps, more than ever before, Nigerians are more sensitive to issues of religious balancing. This, my brother, was my original sin. What they say to themselves, among other things, was that if he could conspire against our ambition, then he must not realize his own ambition as well. For me however, I have no regrets about this. I only stood for what I believed was in the best interest of the party and in the best interest of Nigeria.

Now to the substantive issue of my trial. As you rightly noted, this trial is not about corruption. And I am happy that since my trial started, people who have followed the proceedings have now understood better what the whole thing is about. I have had opportunity to declare my assets four times since 2003. Over those years, the Code of Conduct Bureau had examined my claims. There was no time that they raised any issues with me on any item contained in my declarations over those twelve years. This is why you should be surprised that while I am being tried by the Code of Conduct Tribunal, the witness and the evidence supplied against me were all from EFCC.

Like you, I have an abiding faith in the judiciary. May God forbid the day that we would give up on our judicial system. However, the onus is not on me to prove that I have confidence in the judiciary; the burden is on my prosecutors to prove to the world that justice is done in my case. If the process of fighting corruption is itself corrupt, then whatever victory is recorded would remain tainted and puerile!

Some people have wondered, why has Saraki been “jumping” from one court to another instead of facing his trial? To those people, I would say that I have only gone to those courts in search of justice. Strange things have happened, and they are still happening. For example, Section 3(d) of the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act states that the Bureau shall refer any breach or non-compliance to the Tribunal. However, where the person concerned makes a written admission of the breach, no reference to the Tribunal shall be necessary. It was on this basis that the case against Asiwaju Bola Tinubu was dismissed in 2011, by this same judge in this same Tribunal on the grounds that he was not given an opportunity to deny or admit to any breach before he was brought before the tribunal. This was the ruling that I relied on in making my case. But what did the judge say? That he had judged in error in 2011 and he had since realized his error and departed from it. My question is whether a Tribunal of first instance has the power to reverse itself. I should expect that everyone would be worried if justice is applied differently to different people. However, in spite of my fears, I remain hopeful. Why? Because the judiciary does not end with this Tribunal.

Do you know the genesis of my real problems with President Goodluck Jonathan? I have had a touchy relationship with him, but the turning point was in September 2011 when I moved a motion on the floor of the Senate that exposed the N2.3 trillion fuel subsidy racket. I remain proud that I was the Senator that blew the lid on the most elaborate corruption scheme ever in this country. But after that I became a marked man. My security was withdrawn. I was invited and re-invited by the EFCC and the Special Fraud Unit. I was even declared wanted at a point. I believe I am still one of the most investigated former governors in this country. I have no doubt that if the Jonathan government was able to find anything against me, they would not have allowed me to go unpunished.

Let me make this point clearly. I do not expect to be shielded from prosecution because of my contribution to APC, if there was genuine basis for such action to be taken against me. But I have every reason to expect not to be persecuted by the party that I contributed so much to build. The New PDP may not have given APC victory in 2015, but it was an important factor in the dynamics that produced that victory. And with all sense of modesty, I was an important factor in the formation of New PDP; in leading that group to the APC; in ensuring our group’s support for the candidate during the primaries and in mobilizing substantial resources for the election. For these, I have not expected any special compensation. Rather, I only expect to be treated like every loyal party member and accorded the right to freely aspire!

Some people have complained that I have been taken Senators with me to my trial. But I did not force them to follow me. The Senators have freely accompanied me to the Tribunal not because they are loyal to me as Abubakar Bukola Saraki, but because they are committed to the principle that produced me as the President of the Senate. The same principle that produced Ike Ekweremadu as Deputy Senate President and produced Ali Ndume as Majority Leader. They see all of us in the Senate leadership as manifestation of their jealously guarded right to freely choose their own leaders. Because they know they made us their leaders without any external interference; they are confident that they retain the power to remove us whenever they so wish. They also know what this trial is all about. They believe I am being victimized because they have expressed their right to choose their own leadership. This is why I am not in any way perturbed by my absence in the chambers during this trial. Because I was not imposed on the Senate, I feel confident that the Senate will protect its own choice whether I am present or not. It is never about me. It is about the independence of the legislature. It has always been so since 1999. It is so today and it would be so in 2019, it would be so in 2023, and as long as we practice a democracy that operates on the principle of separation of powers.

My dear brother, let me end by observing that I am not alone in this trial. On trial with me in this process is the entire judicial system. On trial with me are our entire anti-corruption institutions and our avowed commitment to honestly fight corruption. On trial with me is our party’s promise to depart from the ways of the past, a promise that Nigerians voted for. And I dare say, on trial with me is our media; and their ethical commitment to report fairly and objectively. In the end, it is my earnest hope that whatever we do will ultimately ennoble our country.

Thursday, 21 April 2016

CLARION CHUKWURAH MARRIES AMERICAN LOVER

Beautiful ACTRESS, Clarion Chukwurah was all smiles today as she exchanged vows with her new husband Anthony Boyd today April 21, 2016 in United States of America.

Congratulations!

Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria

THE refusal of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to exempt foreign carriers from its forex policy has claimed its first casualty, with Iberia Airline pulling out of Nigeria.
According to information gathered late Tuesday, Iberia, the Spanish national carrier, was said to have taken the decision, in view of the financial predicaments brought upon it by the CBN forex policy, which prevented it from repatriating its proceeds made in Nigeria for many months now.
Since the introduction of the policy, the foreign airlines have over $500 million trapped in the various banks which they ought to have repatriated to their various home countries.
Prior to the decision of Iberia, many of the foreign carriers had expressed their displeasure at the CBN policy, with many threatening to withdraw their services from Nigeria if nothing was urgently done to reverse it.
We gathered that apart from Iberia, other foreign airlines had concluded plans to equally pull out of the country.
In view of the latest development, the foreign carriers are expected to meet with Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo in Abuja, today.

I HAVE NOT RESIGNED AS RCCG PASTOR - VP Osinbajo

Read the press statement from the office of the Vice President below...

Our attention has been drawn to a false publication by a certain online medium, to the effect that Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, has resigned as a Pastor in the Redeemed Christian Church of God. The report is misleading and completely baseless.
Prof. Osinbajo continues to serve as a Pastor in the RCCG, honoring the call of God on his life. He is in fact the Pastor-in-Charge of RCCG Lagos Province 48, a position he has held in the past three years and in which he continues to serve. This completely fabricated report should be ignored and disregarded in its entirety.

Laolu Akande
Senior Special Assistant-Media & Publicity In the Office of the Vice President April 20, 2016

NAVY SET TO ENFORCE RESTRICTION ON THE USE OF 200 HORSE POWER OUTBOARD ENGINES ON NIGERIAN WATERWAYS 

The Nigerian Navy recently issued a press statement  signed by Director of Information, Commodore Christian Odogwu Ezekogbe,. Below is the  statement

.As part of measures put in place to checkmate crimes in the nation’s coastal waters, especially the menace of piracy and smuggling, the Nigerian Navy wishes to remind all seafarers and companies operating within the coastal waters that there will soon be a restriction on the use of 200 horse power (HP) Outboard Engines on our waterways. 

The measure which is part of strategic efforts by the Service to ensure that the nation’s coastal waterways are secure for legitimate activities, became necessary due to the fact that pirates and other criminals use this high powered caliber engines to proceed into international waters within the Gulf of Guinea. It has also been observed that the criminals carry out their nefarious activities at sea with the aid of this class of engines which are mounted on boats stowed on mother ships. 

In recent times, the Nigerian Navy and its maritime security partners especially Operation Pulo Shield in the Niger Delta have confiscated many boats with 200 horse power outboard engines. Some of the confiscated engines have been released to their owners after strict profiling exercises. However investigation has proven that people of questionable characters whose interest are in breach of security in the waterways use this class of high powered engines to perpetuate crimes. 

.Consequently, the Chief of the Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas is working with various state governments of the coastal states to ensure that individuals and corporate organisations who are in possession of, or wishing to acquire outboard engines in the capacity    of 200 and above horse powers should register with the Nigerian Navy. The registration and profiling which would be free, is a step towards ensuring that only authorized persons and corporate organisations are allowed to use this class of engines on Nigeria’s coastal waters. Besides, this step will establish a credible data base of users of the boats fitted with these high caliber engines. 

In this regard, the Nigerian Navy solicits the cooperation of State Governments in the coastal areas on the restriction and profiling of this class of outboard engines. Currently, the Government of Delta and Bayelsa States have provided necessary support to the Nigerian Navy and its maritime Security partners. 

The Nigerian Navy further assures that more proactive strategies have been launched by the Service and its maritime security partners to curb all forms of crimes and unwholesome activities in the maritime domain. In view of the importance of the information for the security of our nation’s economic assets and the safety of her people, you are kindly requested to disseminate this for the awareness of all. 

BullionVan’sN5m : Ambode Rewards Police Officers With N250,000 Each

The Lagos State Governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode has compensated two police officers with commendation letters and N250, 000 cash each, for the recovery of N5 million which fell-off a bullion van around Alausa, Ikeja.
A statement by Mr Adebayo Taofiq, Lagos State Taskforce Public Affairs Officer, said the two policemen were attached to the Lagos State Environmental Sanitation and Special Offences Unit ( Taskforce ).
”These two police officers, Insp. Abiona Hezekiah and Sgt. Ogunbiyi Agbabu recently recovered N5 million that fell-off a bullion van around Alausa, Ikeja.
”The money was discovered, after due investigation, to belong to Skye Bank Plc.”.
The governor, who was represented by the Commissioner of Police (CP), Mr Fatai Owoseni, made the presentation of the commendation letters and cash to the duo.
The statement said that the CP commended the duo for their high sense of patriotism, honesty and integrity in the line of duty.
“This heroic act and professional conduct, is in line with the ‘Change Mantra’ of the present administration which will ensure a renewed confidence in the Nigerian Police Force by the populace.
”I want to appreciate these officers for their honesty and commitment while discharging their duties at the Lagos State Taskforce,” it quoted the governor as saying.
The statement said that the officers thanked the governor and promised to remain steadfast in the discharge of their duties at the Lagos State Taskforce.