Saturday, 29 February 2020

Coronavirus: 28 people have been quarantined in Ogun State

28 persons have been identified and quarantined in connection with the victim of the Coronavirus (COVID – 19) earlier confirmed by the Federal Government on Friday. Ogun state governor, Dapo Abiodun disclosed this on Friday.
The victim, an Italian who is also a consultant to a cement company, reportedly visited the factory in Ewekoro, Ogun State, on Tuesday.
The State Commissioner for Health, Dr Tomi Coker, who addressed journalists earlier on Friday, said the victim had arrived from Lagos on Tuesday, but developed fever and was treated at the clinic located within the cement factory before he was rushed to Lagos. She said the facility of the cement factory had been quarantined.
However, Governor Abiodun while giving an update on the case, said the cement company had identified 28 contacts with the victim. He added that those contacts have been quarantined.
The governor said the factory had been locked down, while two of its guest houses have been turned into isolation centres where those contacts are being examined.
He warned against panic, saying ” we are on top of the situation.

Tuesday, 25 February 2020

Speaker of Kaduna Assembly, Aminu Shagali resigns

Alhaji Aminu Shagali, Speaker of Kaduna State House of Assembly has resigned his position.

Shagali resigned following rumour that some members of the assembly were planning to impeach him today.

But, speaking on his resignation, the Chairman, House Committee on Information, Mr Tanimu Musa, said the speaker “honourably tendered his resignation”

NAN reports that the former speaker would continue his normal duties as a member of the assembly.

Shagali was elected Speaker of the State’s 5th Assembly on 8 June 2015.

He is representing Sabon Gari constituency in Kaduna State.

Monday, 24 February 2020

I’m not threatened by gang-up in APC – Akeredolu

Following the plan by the Unity Forum of the Ondo State All Progressives Congress to pick a consensus governorship aspirant in the group to tackle Governor Rotimi Akeredolu in the forthcoming primary of the party, the governor has said he is not perturbed by the alleged gang up.

The senator representing Ondo North Senatorial District, Ajayi Boroffice, and another APC aspirant, Chief Bukola Adetula, who are members of the group, had earlier said the Unity Group would present the candidate that would represent the party in the governorship election in October.

Akeredolu, who spoke through his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Segun Ajiboye, on Sunday, said he was not a desperate politician and would not be threatened by any gang up in respect of the 2020 governorship race.

He stated that his belief in the sanctity of the people’s backing remained unshaken.

He also alleged that there were some leaders in the party who had made huge investment to destroy the party and stem the pace of development in state but their investment appeared to have yielded no positive results.

The governor said, “Our initial perception of the pernicious outburst of the senator (Boroffice) was to ignore him because such was misguided. At best, empathy was most desirable for a man whose lust for excessive mischief has severally spurred him to paths of perfidy against his South-West kinsmen.

“However, the public, especially all lovers of our dear party, the APC, deserve to know that the vituperations of Senator Boroffice are fallouts of deflated ego.

“Just as the government of Ondo State led by Governor Akeredolu believes in the right of all qualified persons to aspire to be governor, it is perhaps, untoward on the part of supposed leaders to be unrestrained in the pursuit of their ambitions.

Man dies after taking sex enhancement drugs to satisfy lady in Onitsha hotel

Barely two weeks after a married man was found dead in Lagos, while lodging with a prostitute; another middle-aged man, Paul Okwudili, was confirmed dead Monday morning, after having sex with a lady in Onitsha, Anambra State.

According to a statement by the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) Anambra Command, SP Haruna Mohammed, Mr. Okwudili’s cause of death may not be unconnected to overdose of sex enhancement drugs taken to satisfy the lady.

The statement reads in part: “On the 24/2/2020, at about 0:3am, the manager of Plus View hotel in Onitsha reported at Central Police Station, Onitsha that one Paul Okwudili ‘m’ aged about 40years of Ogboliolosi, off Awka Road, Inland town, Onitsha, allegedly took a lady to the hotel and lodged.

Minutes later, the lady came out shouting for help and the hotel management who went to the room and discovered the man grasping for breath took him to St Charles Boromeo hospital Onitsha for medical attention where the victim was later confirmed dead by a medical Doctor on duty.

“Meanwhile, scene was visited by Police detectives attached to CPS Onitsha and photograph of the victim obtained. No marks of violence on the deceased body but some drugs were discovered in the hotel room reasonably suspected to be enhancement drugs”.

The Police spokesman said, the corpse has been deposited at the hospital mortuary for autopsy, while the lady was arrested for further investigation to ascertain circumstances surrounding the incident.

Saturday, 22 February 2020

Buhari’s daughter says she didn’t know DSS arrested anybody for using her old SIM

Hanan Buhari says nobody should be detained for using a SIM previously used by another person. (Premium Times)
President Muhammadu Buhari’s daughter, Hannan says she was not aware that the Department of State Service (DSS) detained a trader Anthony Okoli for using a telephone line previously used by her.
Okoli, who was detained for 10 weeks said he was released after Hanan refused to show up to clear him. He said this in an interview with Punch after his release.

The trader thereafter, sued the DSS, Hanan and company, MTN for his 10-week ordeal in the detention of the secret police officers.

However, in a counter-affidavit to the originating motion filed by Okolie, Hanan said she did not know Okoli was detained because she didn’t report the matter to the DSS in the first place.

The President’s daughter in an affidavit deposed on her behalf by by one Idris Abdullahi said she shouldn’t have been joined in the suit because she didn’t know Okoli was arrested, Punch reports.

The affidavit read in part, “I was informed by the 2nd respondent (Hanan) in our office on February 15, 2020, around 4pm… that she never made any complaint against any Mr. Anthony Okolie to any officer in State Security Service or any other law enforcement agency.

That she was not privileged to even know anybody with the name Anthony Okolie and has never reported him or any other person to any law enforcement agency in Nigeria or any other country throughout her life.

That although she was not happy with the public complaint that someone had been using her old SIM card to solicit for financial assistance using her name, she never complained to any authority and she was not aware that the person’s name was Anthony Okolie until the media published it.”

Hanan added that she didn’t have the power to order the DSS to detain anyone, adding that no one should be punished for using a SIM card that was previously owned by another person as long as he didn’t use it for fraud.

Prosecute killers of Aso Rock director – NCWS

The National Council of Women’s Societies, on Saturday, called on the Federal Government to ensure that killers of Ms. Laetitia Dagan, were fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law.

The National President of NCWS, Mrs Gloria Shoda, said in a statement in Abuja that the murder of Dagan, the Assistant Director of Administration in the Presidential Villa, Abuja, was one too many in recent times.

“’The number of people killed every day is alarming, and nobody knows who will be next.

The government owes its citizens the right to protection of lives and properties, so we expect that the government does more in this area.

“We cannot continue to fold our hands and watch fellow Nigerians murdered in cool blood daily.

“We want all Nigerians to join hands with us and call on the government to do all that is necessary to stop these senseless killings,” Shoda said.

She, however, commended the Nigeria Police Force for its quick response, and the arrest of one of the suspects, but urged them to do more.

It will be recalled that the late Dagan was reportedly killed by unknown assailants in her home in Abuja.

She was reported to have worked in her office at the State House till about 8pm on Monday when she left for home.

The 47-year-old Dagan was, however, attacked and killed at about 11pm the same day.

Buhari mourns Col. Ogbebor, the first NDA cadet

President Muhammadu Buhari has described the life and time of the late Col. Paul Ogbebor (Rtd.), as one well spent and marked with indelible prints.

President Buhari recalled that Col. Ogbebor was the first cadet to be enrolled at the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA), following which he dedicated his life to a memorable military service.

President Buhari, according to a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, also recalled that the late Ogbebor emerged a hero of the Nigerian Civil War.

“It’s the end of a life well spent, with footprints indelibly printed in the sands of time, says President Muhammadu Buhari of Col. Paul Ogbebor  (Retd), who passed on at 80.

“The President recalls that Col Ogbebor was the first cadet to enroll at the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA), and pursued an illustrious military career, during which he emerged a hero of the Nigerian Civil War.

“President Buhari salutes the community spirit of the departed, who was in the vanguard of the socio-cultural group, Edo Leaders of Thought, and chieftain of the Pan Niger Delta Forum (PANDEF).

“The late Col Ogbebor had documented his professional life through a book, Nigerian Defence Academy: A Pioneer Cadet’s Memoir, which the President says is one of the vital resource materials on the pioneer military training institution in the country.

He commiserates with the family, friends and professional colleagues of the departed, urging them to take solace in the fact that Col Ogbebor lived a distinguished life, signposted by many achievements”, the statement said.